The ASAM Motivational Interviewing Workshop is an interactive and engaging workshop designed to introduce and expand participants’ knowledge on utilizing Motivational Interviewing (MI) in an addiction treatment setting. MI is a goal-oriented, collaborative counseling style that evokes a person’s own motivations and commitment to change.
Physicians, clinicians, counselors, and those working with patients with addiction often find that one of the main barriers to effective treatment is the patients’ perceived lack of motivation to make changes. Without motivation on the patient’s part, making and sustaining progress with treatment goals can be difficult. MI is one technique that clinicians can utilize to help patients make positive changes. Participants of this workshop will be introduced or reintroduced to the key concepts and skills of MI and explore ways to effectively integrate MI into addiction treatment to help promote positive patient outcomes.
Who Should Attend
Clinicians working with patients with addiction who are interested in an introductory workshop, which reviews the core skills of Motivational Interviewing (MI). This workshop is designed for those with little or no prior experience with MI.
Upon completion, participants should be able to:
- Apply the spirit of MI to clinical practice
- Compare and contrast MI congruent interactions with MI dissonant interactions.
- Recognize change talk and apply the basic MI skills of open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and to summarize by selectively reinforcing change talk.
- Identify further training opportunities for practicing the skills of MI.
- Welcome and Workshop Introduction
- Capturing the Spirit: An Introduction to MI
- Building the Foundation: The Four Processes
- It’s all about Change Talk
- Applying Skills: Using OARS, Informing and Advising
- It’s Your Journey: Learning MI and Creating a Practice Implementation Plan
How to Register
This workshop is only offered live. The next offering is on Thursday, March 31, 2022 from 8:00 am – 5:30 pm ET. Click here to register.
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|