Learn how to apply motivational interviewing techniques through practical skill-based workshops, modules, and sessions.
About this Workshop
The ASAM Motivational Interviewing Workshop
This workshop will introduce you to the building blocks of motivational interviewing (MI) and teach techniques that can be easily applied in practice. You'll learn about the spirit of MI and the usefulness of "change talk". You'll gain a deeper understanding of the 4 processes of MI (engaging, focusing, evoking, and planning) and the OARS communication skills (open-ended questions, affirming, reflective listening, and summarizing). National experts will guide you through hands-on practice activities to reinforce new skills and build confidence. This workshop is a great way to build a new set of skills or get a refresher on what you already know about MI. Help motivate your patients to meet their treatment goals and take your practice to the next level.
What You'll Learn
Upon completion, participants should be able to:
- Apply the spirit of MI to clinical practice
- Compare and contrast MI congruent interactions with MI dissonant interactions.
- Recognize change talk and apply the basic MI skills of open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and to summarize by selectively reinforcing change talk.
- Identify further training opportunities for practicing the skills of MI.
- A-Z Index
- Alcohol Use Disorder Courses
- Annual Conference
- ASAM Criteria Courses
- Board Exam Study Tool
- DEA Education Requirement
- Fundamentals Curriculum
- Motivational Interviewing Curriculum
- Pain & Addiction Curriculum
- Review Course
- State of the Art Course
- Treatment of OUD Courses
- Treatment Court Courses