Fundamentals of Addiction Medicine
Learn the basics of addiction, which covers how to screen, diagnose, treat and/or refer patients with addiction.
About the Workshop
This workshop will provide an overview of the basics of addiction medicine needed to screen, diagnose, treat and/or refer patients with addiction. Featuring real cases and discussions led by experts, attendees will gain practical knowledge of evidence-based approaches demonstrating solutions are available to help patients with addiction. This workshop is offered in two formats: online (available on-demand, 24/7) and virtual-live. This workshop is for physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses, and behavioral health specialists. It is designed for those new to treating patients with addiction and for individuals who have had little or no addiction training.
Interested in Hosting A Workshop?
Find out more information on requirements, courses, and what's involved.
What You'll Learn
After taking this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify one's own feelings and attitudes that promote or prevent therapeutic responses to patients with substance use disorders.
- Apply the philosophy of harm reduction to enhance patient centered care for people with substance use disorders.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the neurobiological changes that occur during addictions.
- Use motivational interviewing to enhance patient’s readiness to change unhealthy behaviors.
- Use validated patient screening tools to detect substance use and interpret a spectrum of results.
- Conduct substance use assessments using the DSM-5 criteria and including a biopsychosocial approach.
- Offer evidence-based pharmacotherapy and behavioral interventions that are appropriate to specific substances and usage patterns.
- Non-Member - $199
- Regular Member - $149
- Retired - $149
- Early Career Physician - $149
- Resident - $99
- Student - $99
- Associate - $99
- ASAM Staff - Free!
- International Member - $149
- Emeritus Member - $149
- Provisional Member - $149
- Fellow Member - $149
- Honorary Member - $149
- CRT Member - $149
- More Information
|Access Date||Quiz Result||Score||Actions|
- Alcohol Use Disorder Courses
- Annual Conference
- ASAM Criteria Courses
- Board Exam Study Tool
- DEA Education Requirement
- Fundamentals Curriculum
- Motivational Interviewing Curriculum
- Pain & Addiction Curriculum
- Review Course
- State of the Art Course
- Treatment of OUD Courses
- Treatment Court Courses
- Explore A-Z