Board Exam Study Tool (BEST) - 2021
- Non-Member - $699
- Regular Member - $525
- Retired - $525
- Early Career Physician - $525
- Resident - $349
- Student - $349
- Associate - $349
- ASAM Staff - Free!
- International Member - $525
- Emeritus Member - $525
- Provisional Member - $525
- Fellow Member - $525
- Honorary Member - $525
- CRT Member - $525
The ASAM Board Exam Study Tool (BEST) helps prepare physicians for the ABPM certification/re-certification examination utilizing an interactive and engaging format. This tool is fully online and uses a mix of didactic materials, case studies, learning activities, and assessments. Users are able to select different learning modes in an engaging, self-paced format to review over 900 board-style questions, developed, reviewed and mapped to ABPM exam blueprint content areas by national experts.
This on-demand tool contains the following features:
- 800 Board-Style Self-Assessment Questions
- Rationale to help give greater insight, justification, and clarity for all answers
- Personalized Reporting Excerpts and Highlights (Utilizes the new ASAM Principles textbook)
- Study Mode Remediation (See how you score in comparison to your peers)
The target audience for this beginner and intermediate level tool include: Physicians preparing for the ABPM Certification Exam in Addiction Medicine, non-specialist physicians, addiction specialists, and other healthcare professionals seeking a "refresher" course that incorporates recent developments in addiction science and practice, and/or seeking the knowledge to identify and manage problems related to substance use disorders for their patients.
ACGME Competencies: Medical Knowledge
Upon completion, learners will be able to:
- Differentiate between important terms and definitions in the field of Addiction Medicine
- Distill knowledge on key points from the text, the Principles of Addiction Medicine, 6th edition and course slides
- Appraise addiction patient cases and respond accurately to questions about next steps and treatment options
- Employ knowledge gained in the educational sections of the BEST to respond accurately to self-assessment questions
(*) Residents, Fellows-in-training, Interns, and Students must join ASAM to receive a discounted registration rate.
- Click here to become an ASAM member.
- Residents, Fellows-in-training, and Interns: National and Chapter membership dues apply.
- There is no charge for Students to become a Member, but verification of student status is required.
- Membership Question? Call ASAM at 1.301.656.3920, email us, or view the ASAM website for more information.
Refunds & Cancellations
All ASAM e-Learning Center refund requests must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org within 90 days of purchase. Those requesting refunds for courses that are in progress will receive partial refunds or e-Learning Center credit. Automatic full refunds will be made for any course with a live-course component that has been cancelled.
Participants will have one year of registration to the 2021 Board Exam Study Tool. Participant access to the 2021 BEST will be closed automatically one year after the first access to the question bank feature. Please be sure to claim your CME within that time frame.
Registration Deadline: 04/30/2024
To begin, click on the "Contents" tab and click "View Course Introduction & Instructions". Once you have watched this short video, you will be able to review the BEST content, glossary and self-assessment questions. Click on the other tabs to view credit and disclosures and materials/resources related to the tool.
Claim Credit & Certificate
- Click the "Contents" tab and select "View Course Introduction & Instructions". After completing, return to the "Contents" tab and complete the remaining Modules.
- Click Complete Evaluation to answer evaluation questions. Scroll down on all questions, there are answers that expand past the size of the window. Submit the evaluation (the next box should activate, and the evaluation box should turn green with a white check mark).
- Click the button “Claim Credits” in the box titled “Claim Credits & Certificate." Choose the type of credit and click submit. Click the button “View/Print Certificate” to save or print your certificate. If you ever lose your certificate, you can come back to the ASAM e-Learning Center and view it on your transcript (found in the Dashboard).
If you have are experiencing any log in issues, cannot access a course, need assistance claiming credit, or have other questions or concerns, please e-mail Education@asam.org for assistance.
For learners who may have difficulty typing, moving a mouse or reading, Essential Accessibility is an application available for use to assist.
Credits and Disclosures
CME, CE, CEU and Other Credit Types
ACCME Accreditation Statement
The American Society of Addiction Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement
The American Society of Addiction Medicine designates this enduring material for a maximum of 45 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals
This activity has been approved by the American Society of Addiction Medicine, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #295, ASAM is responsible for all aspects of the programming.
National Board for Certified Counselors ACEP
The American Society of Addiction Medicine has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7062. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The American Society of Addiction Medicine is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
California Association for Drug/Alcohol Educators (CAADE)
This educational program is approved by CAADE: #CP40 999 1222
California Association of DUI Treatment Centers (CADTP)
This educational program is approved by CADTP: #205
California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP)
This educational program is approved by CCAPP: #OS-20-330-1222
Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)
Non-physician participants will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the activity and an online evaluation confirming their participation. Participants should submit his/her certificate of attendance to their professional organization/institute.
Maintenance of Certification
American Board of Preventive Medicine (ABPM)
The American Board of Preventive Medicine (ABPM) has approved this activity for a maximum of 45 LLSA credit towards ABPM MOC Part II requirements.
American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA)
This activity contributes to the CME component of the American Board of Anesthesiology’s redesigned Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology TM (MOCA®) program, known as MOCA 2.0®.
American Board of Pediatrics (ABP)
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the activity, with individual assessments of the participant and feedback to the participant, enables the participant to earn a maximum of 45 MOC points in the American Board of Pediatrics’ (ABP) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABP MOC credit.
American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM)
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 45 Medical Knowledge MOC point in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credits.
American Board of Surgery (ABS)
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the learner to earn credit toward the CME and/or Self-Assessment requirements of the American Board of Surgery’s Continuous Certification program. It is the CME activity provider's responsibility to submit learner completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABS credit
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN)
Successful completion of this CME activity can be used to satisfy the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology’s (ABPN) CME requirement for Maintenance of Certification program.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
Royal College Fellows can use participation in Accredited Continuing Medical Education to earn Section 3 Credits
American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM)
Successful completion of this activity can be used to satisfy the American Board of Addiction Medicine (ABAM) for Tmoc as credits towards ABAM LLSA Part II requirements.
CME Reviewer and Disclosure Information
ASAM CME Committee Reviewer
Noel Ilogu, MD, FASAM – No disclosures
Program Planning Committee, CME Committee, Medical Education Council (MEC), and Faculty Disclosure Information
In accordance with disclosure policies of ASAM and the ACCME, the effort is made to ensure balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor in all CME activities. These policies include mitigating all possible relevant financial relationships for the Planning Committees, CME Committee, MEC, and Faculty. All activity Planning Committee members and Faculty have disclosed relevant financial relationship information. The ASAM CME Committee has reviewed these disclosures and determined that the relationships are not inappropriate in the context of their respective presentations and are not inconsistent with the educational goals and integrity of the activity.
Item Writers and Planning Committee
Item Writer and Planning Committee Disclosure Information
David Galbis-Reig, MD, DFASAM (Leader) – Does Disclose
- Abbott Pharmaceuticals, Type of financial relationship. (Select all that apply.): Ownership Interest (includes stock, stock options, patent or other intellectual property)
- Abbvie, Type of financial relationship. (Select all that apply.): Ownership Interest (includes stock, stock options, patent or other intellectual property)
- Hospira, Type of financial relationship. (Select all that apply.): Ownership Interest (includes stock, stock options, patent or other intellectual property)
- Moderna, Type of financial relationship. (Select all that apply.): Ownership Interest (includes stock, stock options, patent or other intellectual property)
R Jeffrey Goldsmith, MD, DLFAPA, DFASAM – Does disclose
- AAAP, Clinical Condition: Substance Use Disorder, Type of financial relationship. (Select all that apply.): Consultant/Advisory Board, Research Grant (includes principal investigator, collaborator or consultant and pending grants as well as grants already received), Speaker/Honoraria (includes speakers bureau, symposia, and expert witness)
- Windhorse Zen Community, Type of financial relationship. (Select all that apply.): Other, Volunteer BOD
Theodore Parran, MD, FACP, FASAM – No disclosures
Soumya Pandalai, MD, FACP, FASAM – No disclosures
Michael Darracq, MD, MPH – No disclosures
David Streem, MD, FASAM – No disclosures
All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated